Dusk

Tonight at the Mable Frances House was pure magic. It's not often I am home at gloaming. I decided to see if I could coax the chickens to try apple, something they've been resistant to. (Makes me wonder if I should trust my apples.) 

I made them fancy with mealworms and everything. The closest thing I got to a nibble was this gal testing out some fresh lettuce. 

I watched as Bird Person flew into the coop and emitted a series of chirping noises unlike any I've heard yet. I watched, assuming he was calling the hens into the coop, but they seemed to be ignoring him. Then Bird Person flew out to the roosting bar, and one by one my youngest chicks flew up into the coop. Then the black chicks few in. Imogene was second to last, and then Bird Person finished. 

Bird person was the first one allowed to "nest" and then the others started to settle into the nesting boxes.
I took a picture with flash, though it was dark. I love how they can all still fit in a nesting box. Bird Person gathering the flock into the coop at night is a new phenomenon that started yesterday. It's wonderful to not have to do anything but lock them in tight, instead of chasing them all around.   




Then, after I tucked them away for the night, I paused. Fireflies were everywhere. Crickets sounded their century-old cries. Humidity hung in the air, just right. Enough to feel like a warm Southern night, but not enough to drench you. Fireflies were everywhere, and though I tried to capture them, it was growing too dark to keep trying. 








These are my two newest books: 

The Seed Garden, edited by Lee Buttala & Shanyn Seigel



This is a publication of the Seed Savers Exchange. An organization I hope to become a member of. They have brought so many different kinds of plants back from that verge of extinction. One goal of Mable Frances Farm is that seeds are a one-time investment--not a yearly purchase. My first radishes have gone to seed, thus the timely need for the book. It's well done. I'm glad I took Plant Science in 2018. It helps me jump right in. 




And then I've ordered a fabulous cookbook called Dishing Up the Dirt, by Andrea Bemis.


Radishes all by themselves out of the garden are not very exciting fare . . . unless you know how to transform them. Healthy and tasty, you can't get better than that. Ms. Bemis has some amazing ways to fix up heirloom food. Because of her, I've purchased my first Miso paste. I can't wait!

From Dishing Up the Dirt


Dishing up the Dirt



Both books are absolutely fabulous and make me glad I'm taking this journey. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts