Tasting the Food of the Past

So, did you know that in the nineteenth century there were over 14,000 varieties of apples? Nearly everyone had an apple tree in their yard and apples they were prized for their various flavors, colors, shapes, textures, and sizes. 

Sadly, we only have 90 varieties of apple left. Just going off the top of my head, here's some of the most popular. You probably know them, too:  
  • Gala
  • Red Delicious
  • Honey Crisp
  • Granny Smith
  • Golden Delicious 
  • Pink Lady
  • MacIntosh 
Can you name any other types of apple?

Me neither (well, technically I can because I just spent the last four weeks pouring over the other 83 types of apples.) 

Fruit trees are an important part of Mable Frances Farm, and none more so than apples. Did you know that apples have natural pectin, making it possible to make your own jellies without a store? You can also make your own apple cider vinegar from apples, which can be used as the base of many fermented foods. 

But I am really fascinated by our lost apple heritage. What do other apples taste like? 

I'm about to find out. Here are the heirloom varieties I've reserved for Mable Frances and will be planting in the Fall:


Strawberry Parfait Apple from https://www.treesofantiquity.com/

These apples smell and taste a bit like strawberries. They ripen early and really are only for eating in the Spring. In the past, people used Strawberry Parfait Apples as air fresheners. I plan on eating mine. 



Jonathan Apple From https://www.treesofantiquity.com/

My cousin lives on a farm in Pennslyvania and her neighbor has apple orchards who doesn't begrudge an occasional missing apple, or so at least my second cousins assured me. I never had a chance to try a Jonathan apple, but my sister did and said it was the best apple she'd ever eaten in her whole life. I've waited to see them in a supermarket, to no avail. So I'm going to grow my own. 

Snow Fameuse Apple from https://www.treesofantiquity.com/


This apple is the parent of the McIntosh. In the 1700's this apple was very popular. Apparently, it can be grown from seed, as well. 
    Maiden Blush From https://www.treesofantiquity.com/

    This apple was introduced in 1817 in New Jersey.  It's supposed to be tart and juicy, but it mellows with age. It's often dried (and I love dried apples) because it doesn't turn brown as it dries. I didn't want to have all red apples, so I decided on this yellow one.

    I'm not sure how long until I'll be able to taste a different kind of apple, but who knows, maybe as early as next year. 






Comments

Popular Posts