Floods, Poop and Birthday Ducks


Someday Mabel Frances Farm will be a beauty to behold. 

That day, though, is definitely not today. If you were to pull into my driveway, you'd find a car-wrecked porch, piles of wet brush waiting to be burnt or transported to the dump, overgrown grass, and a soggy, mucky mess--a result of chicken ownership and recent flooding. 

My pantry is not brimming with canned food. My new freezer is not filled with future dinners. My garden has been eaten by a really, annoying deer (or possibly a very tall groundhog.)

My semester is not yet fully mapped out with all my due dates and everything carefully calendered in, and I still have evaluations to fill out for work. I am dreadfully behind in one class. My house is not completely clean (but let's be realistic . . . ) 

September found me looking at my new landscape, wondering how exactly my promising Spring turned into a ghetto-end of Summer. 

Nevertheless, this only strengthens my resolve.

 My desire and excitement at forcing my property to become a self-producing only triple. I only wish I had more time, more energy, and more money. ( But don't we all?)

All of this post I started on the first of September. It is now mid-October and I am finally finding a free moment to finish it. (My stats class got canceled due to technical issues with Zoom. So in between studying for a Sense and Perception quiz, I am finishing this post.)

Flood and proof I wasn't lying about the messiness of the yard. 

Flooding is bad. Flooding is worse when makes chicken poop soggy and stinky. Moving sodden chicken poop out of the mud is really hard. I did it once--it took hours, and the very next day Mabel Frances flooded again. Two days of back-to-back flooding had me thinking that there must be a better way to deal with this. I switch to sand for my chickens.

 It's been lovely, ever since. No smell, so far, the sand and their poop are making their own soil--something my heavy, clay soil can use. There is a sand shortage, but I found a temporary supply and am thankful.

My yard is almost embarrassing, okay it is completely embarrassing. But . . . it's been mowed a few times since this post. Some of the cut wood hauled off, and I believe with certainty that someday people will slow down as they pass my house to admire a functioning, pretty homestead. (Although today, I imagine people driving by thinking 'why doesn't she do something about that.' If they are, they should try on my shoes for a bit.) 


The ducks! If I thought chickens were fun, ducks are absolutely amazing. I will post a lot more on them (LOL, really, I will!) But in the meantime, I don't know why EVERY homestead doesn't have ducks. 

So despite what seems to be setbacks, it's all really just part of the process, and the mess is beautiful. 




Comments

Popular Posts