How I Discovered I had a Compost Pile







Last Spring, I purchased mushroom compost. 

It wasn't the most economical thing to do, but I wanted to start growing now. 

I didn't research, and to this day, I have no idea what was in that compost. Some vegetables did fabulously, but others, not so much. Some things, like the peppers, were planted in April but didn't flower until November--right before the frost. Talk about slow growth. In 2020, my garden did not produce nearly as much as I hoped it would. All those canning jars remain empty. 

When it comes to plants, it's either about the light, water, or soil. (Keeping them alive and bug-free is apparently a whole 'nother topic.) 

So. . . this upcoming year, I should have more light. In the back yard, my Amish neighbors were kind enough to cut down some wild walnut trees for the wood. I am working on having six huge trees removed around the sides of my house that have shaded the majority of the property. 

To help the water situation, I am giving each garden bed a full thick mat of brown leaves. (Next year I won't have that option.) 

But the soil . . . 

How to fix the soil? Right now, only the bravest weeds attempt to grow in my yard--things like, oh, nettles and thorns. Most of the soil is clay and compact. 

There are plenty of scientific books on how to amend your soil, and while I am squeezing in one those in between my psychology study, I'm really relying more on YouTube. 

Here's the basis of what I've picked up. I really need a compost pile. Good, nutritious soil comes from good compost. Good compost has a mixture of browns (think sawdust) and greens (think grass clippings.) Every day, I should be adding my vegetable scraps to it. Every week, I should be turning it over. Oxegen is a necessary ingredient, too. 

How and where, I've wondered, am I going to get a compost pile started

In the meantime, I keep straw (brown) in my duck pens. Every other day, I spray their poop (green) off the concrete--always regretting the wasted fertilizer. Some of the straw, I've spread over future garden areas.  But most days, there just isn't time. So, at least half of the straw has just gone over the side railing (which incidentally is where I spray my duck poop.)

Then, the other morning as I was cleaning up the yard, I turned and looked at the pile with a deep sigh. I had to figure out what to do with it. 

One pitchfork full gave me a eureka moment. Inside the straw, it was breaking down into soil. I HAD a compost pile. I had an AMAZING compost pile. Full of duck poop (liquid gold) and straw! 

Ducks and Compost

I had a compost pile next to thousands of leaves waiting to be raked into such a pile! 

Compost Pile

I had a compost pile that my chickens already loved! Just look at Millie in jumping action  . . .


Since I've discovered this compost pile (three days ago) . . . I've been turning it non-stop. I'm suddenly a compost nerd or something. (I really need to see if there's a limit to how much I should be turning it). 

In the meantime, to keep my chickens and ducks safe from predators, I've been breaking down vegetable scraps in a bin that is away from their coops.



I've also become diligent about collecting used teabags and the occasional coffee grounds from work. 

Who knew I had a compost bin? This has been such a fun discovery!

 


Comments

Popular Posts